Alpine
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 CX90 T6 - Inspection
I'm nervous.

Ok, hello! First post here. Just wanted to reach out to a community, since I often get great help from forums.

Why am I nervous? Let me explain.

This is my first European car. I've always bought Hondas or Toyotas and GMC (less of the last one). Our recent used car buy (CX90 with 19,000 miles) was to replace my wife's 2008 Yukon XL Denali. It has 203,000 miles. I got it to go that far because I do my own car repair work. One of first jobs in my youth was working at a used car dealership in the mechanical shop. I learned a great deal in those years, bresides just earning money for college. I got good training and lots of hands-on experience.

So back to today.....I've done countless repairs on our GMC to keep it running. From oil pan gaskets to water pump replacements to new alternator to full break jobs several times and several batteries. Not to mention changing the oil on the engine every 6 to 7K miles and also changing the oil on the front and rear differentials and transfer case at least 4 different times--as well as transmission. You get the point

Fast forward to today. My wife picks out the Volvo as the car to meet her needs. I flew to California to pick it up. It is a certified Volvo used car, so we get 5 years from 02/2019 in full warranty and unlimited miles.

My nerves come from the fact that as soon as my road trip (500 miles) began, I decided to stop at the nearest gas station to fill it up and check the engine oil. No dip stick. What the? No way for me to inspect oil quality.

At that point I realize she got me into a car that isn't designed nor intended for me to maintain and fix.

I've since learned a great deal about it and realize it has a sensor that measures the oil level. Fine, that's easy (as long as that sensor doesn't fail); however, I think I need a mental shift. I just bought a car that clearly the manufacture doesn't want me being a self-repair person. Everything seems to be tailored to bringing it in and they will do all the work. I suppose we have 2 more free oil changes and then it's time to open the wallet.

So sorry for the rambling but I'm curious what other owners experience has been on when Volvo vehicles begin to really start to need repair. I'm not talking wear and tear like breaks or tires. I'm talking when it starts to have oil leaks or when I can expect the air ride suspension to fail. I also am impressed with the car but honestly think I may want to sell it just before these major issues begin to raise their head. I do get it, all cars break down. Some quicker than others but all need maintenance and repair to keep on the road. I fear this Volvo will exhibit such behavior just about 2024, or when she reaches year 5.

What has been your experience? I sincerely hope I've not offended anyone. I think this car is super nice, has great features and clearly well designed. Simply put, I have 0 experience on Volvo longevity and need some thoughts from other users.

TKH.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
I feel your worry. This is the first Volvo we have bought as well and traded a Subaru Outback for this SUV. The good news is Volvo's last forever. The bad news is they cost to repair when they break (they all break eventually) just like other European makes but I found out recently a Cadillac (2018) costs $800 to replace a headlight. We LOVE our XC90 Inscription and I bet you are going to enjoy driving, owning yours as well. It's not as big as your Yukon Denali XL but easier to drive/ park.
I am really impressed the 4 cylinder produces over 300 hp and torque but gives 25 mpg on the highway. Hope this helps.

robrike1

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I'm nervous.

Ok, hello! First post here. Just wanted to reach out to a community, since I often get great help from forums.

Why am I nervous? Let me explain.

This is my first European car. I've always bought Hondas or Toyotas and GMC (less of the last one). Our recent used car buy (CX90 with 19,000 miles) was to replace my wife's 2008 Yukon XL Denali. It has 203,000 miles. I got it to go that far because I do my own car repair work. One of first jobs in my youth was working at a used car dealership in the mechanical shop. I learned a great deal in those years, bresides just earning money for college. I got good training and lots of hands-on experience.

So back to today.....I've done countless repairs on our GMC to keep it running. From oil pan gaskets to water pump replacements to new alternator to full break jobs several times and several batteries. Not to mention changing the oil on the engine every 6 to 7K miles and also changing the oil on the front and rear differentials and transfer case at least 4 different times--as well as transmission. You get the point

Fast forward to today. My wife picks out the Volvo as the car to meet her needs. I flew to California to pick it up. It is a certified Volvo used car, so we get 5 years from 02/2019 in full warranty and unlimited miles.

My nerves come from the fact that as soon as my road trip (500 miles) began, I decided to stop at the nearest gas station to fill it up and check the engine oil. No dip stick. What the? No way for me to inspect oil quality.

At that point I realize she got me into a car that isn't designed nor intended for me to maintain and fix.

I've since learned a great deal about it and realize it has a sensor that measures the oil level. Fine, that's easy (as long as that sensor doesn't fail); however, I think I need a mental shift. I just bought a car that clearly the manufacture doesn't want me being a self-repair person. Everything seems to be tailored to bringing it in and they will do all the work. I suppose we have 2 more free oil changes and then it's time to open the wallet.

So sorry for the rambling but I'm curious what other owners experience has been on when Volvo vehicles begin to really start to need repair. I'm not talking wear and tear like breaks or tires. I'm talking when it starts to have oil leaks or when I can expect the air ride suspension to fail. I also am impressed with the car but honestly think I may want to sell it just before these major issues begin to raise their head. I do get it, all cars break down. Some quicker than others but all need maintenance and repair to keep on the road. I fear this Volvo will exhibit such behavior just about 2024, or when she reaches year 5.

What has been your experience? I sincerely hope I've not offended anyone. I think this car is super nice, has great features and clearly well designed. Simply put, I have 0 experience on Volvo longevity and need some thoughts from other users.

TKH.
I'm in the same boat you are. I always do own work but you need a subscription to Volvo's Vida program to access service manual and diagnostics. I bought a Foxwell NT530 Scanner with the Volvo download to read codes on our '16 XC90. It reads almost all the modules and allows you to set the parking brake to service mode to do rear brakes replacement. Also let's you reset service reminder.

Oil and filter changes are same as any other car. I buy my oil from FCP Groton and get their Liquimoly 0w/20 because it meets the spec for these engines. They sell it with a filter for about $50 or so. I've done rear brakes and rotors and 2 oil changes with no issues. Swedespeed forum has some info and a Volvo technician that routinely answers posts also.

Robert

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk