SwissXC90

Reactions
City
Cross Country
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland
On holiday in the Engadine valley in Switzerland.
Bonnet temp was -29.9°C (laser thermometer can only measure to -30°C).
Car showing -20°C ambient.
Battery is at -14°C (measured using CTEK Battery Sense app). Snow temp was -24°C. And there is some wind chill due to a breeze as well.
Definitely firing up my parking heater before we drive off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SwissXC90

Reactions
City
Cross Country
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland
And happy that I have snow tyres on, and that I siliconed all my door and trunk and bonnet rubbers last week, and filled my windscreen washer reservoir with washer fluid rated to -20°C, and I have extra rated to -40°C.
Got de-icer in the apartment as well.

A few years back I had a car parked for a week that got covered is snow and then it melted and froze multiple times and all the doors were frozen shut, and the door handles were frozen shut, and the de-icer was inside the car.... that was dumb...

SwissXC90

Reactions
City
Cross Country
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland

The door. Caught before the laser thermometer hit -30°C and wouldn’t show the temp any more....

Last edited:

SwissXC90

Reactions
City
Cross Country
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland
Battery. Now at -14°. Measured by the CTEK Battery Sense device and shows up in my app. Was at 100% when I parked last night. Dropped 12% due to the cold temperatures overnight.

This is why a good strong battery is needed in cold temperatures.
And also why a battery insulator can help (sometimes called a battery blanket, wraps around the batttery.
I don’t have one, as the XC90 battery is inside the car.... but if I lived here it would be a worthwhile mod to make for the battery.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B General Automotive Discussions 0