Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Hi All,

New here. Recent new dad driving a Genesis G80 currently. Thinking this isn't going to be the best family vehicle (its big but trunk isn't huge) especially since we want to add kid #2 early next year.

Looking at a 2016 R-Design XC90. Its a T6 with the B&W stereo, air suspension, climate package, vision package, and convenience package. Basically fully loaded. Its certified used with a warranty through 03/2021. 47k miles. Think I can get it for about $39k. can extend the warranty for another 3 years as well. This is important to me with the cost of fixing some items on cars anymore. My Genesis has a cert warranty bumper to bumper through 2021 and power train through 2016.

Good buy? Would you buy a used car with an air suspension?

Also looking at a certified used 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature with only 6k miles.

Reactions
City
APO
State
Non-US
Country
United States
That’s a good deal considering the reasonable mileage and the extendable warranty. The air suspension is very cushy, especially if your roads are especially bumpy, although they can be problematic and unreliable in the long term. If you do mostly city driving I would recommend the air suspension, but for highway driving the standard suspension feels fine. It seems to be tuned for cruising not for local chores.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90
Hi All,

New here. Recent new dad driving a Genesis G80 currently. Thinking this isn't going to be the best family vehicle (its big but trunk isn't huge) especially since we want to add kid #2 early next year.

Looking at a 2016 R-Design XC90. Its a T6 with the B&W stereo, air suspension, climate package, vision package, and convenience package. Basically fully loaded. Its certified used with a warranty through 03/2021. 47k miles. Think I can get it for about $39k. can extend the warranty for another 3 years as well. This is important to me with the cost of fixing some items on cars anymore. My Genesis has a cert warranty bumper to bumper through 2021 and power train through 2016.

After 52000 miles in my 2017 XC90 with air suspension, I can say it's been a FABULOUS choice. In my case it's two small kids (and sometimes their buddies) that I ferry around. Long family trips are a breeze. comfort is wonderful. And I find this car is just a treat to drive... it's special. Makes me smile everytime I get in. My experience has been that it's very reliable. Caveat: When you're out of warranty, repairs are more expensive than you might be used to if you've had Chevys and other ordinary cars. So I'd get an EXTENDED warranty. And enjoy this car; it's one of the most beautiful vehicles on the road today!

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
'16 T6 Inscription
First off, welcome and congrats on the baby! Fatherhood is amazing. I wish I had my current CPO ‘16 XC90 Inscription when my kids were babies/toddlers. Then again, I’m pretty OCD about keeping it clean inside and out so maybe not. LOL

Purchased mine late September ‘18 and have been loving (mostly) every minute of it. Had a failure to start after just over 48-hours of ownership and just under 9K miles which took a ton of troubleshooting and almost a week at the dealership to rectify. Thank goodness for that CPO warranty! Outside of that and squeaky front brake pads (not a safety issue, but a known issue with some ‘16’s that will be fixed at my 20K visit) it has been an absolute joy. I love the air suspension as it just floats along both local roads and highways. Also quite handy when loading/unloading anything heavy.

$39K seems like a solid deal given the equipment list/warranty/mileage. Let us know what you decide to do!

Last edited:

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Love air suspension; it is reason I bought this 16 Inscription that we have owned since new. Well worth the $1,800 upgrade in price (when new).
Good luck and happy XC90 driving. A great family vehicle.

jhigh1215

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
Hi All,

I have a 2017 T6 R-Design fully loaded with the same options as the one you're looking at. I always suggest looking at a few used car websites (Cars.com, Car Gurus, Auto Trader, etc.) to compare similarly equipped XC90 R-Designs. It might be worth a roadtrip to save a few $$$. I would definitely get an extended used car warranty as well. The only issue with the 2016 XC90's is that some of the original software can be expensive to upgrade (Pilot Assist 1, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, etc.) You might want to consider a used 2017 model since those features were added as standard equipment by Volvo.

MA T6

Reactions
City
Duxbury
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 XC60 T6
It's been three weeks since your post. Don't know if you've made a purchasing decision yet, but I don't think you'll regret buying that car. It's the perfect and safest family car. I can tell you from my own experience and that of my son that a Volvo can save your life! The first thing my daughter did when she found out she was pregnant with her first was buy an XC60. We've had a number of Volvos and, as a family, swear by them.