Air Conditioner Smell

Reactions
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
Country
United States
Hi there. I recently bought a used 2011 XC90 AWD 3.2. Ocassionally, when I start the car and then turn the AC on, there is a terrible smell. I've researched and found that people recommend replacing the in-cabin air filter and spraying mold killer in the air intake. Where exactly is the air intake?

To me, this seems to be a high-maintenance procedure. Is there a more ideal method to prevent this issue? It's embarrassing when I have passengers.

Reactions
City
Milton Keynes
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2009 XC90 R Design 2.4 diesel
To prevent:

Change the pollen filter as per manufacturers guidance.

And that's it. Once cars are a few years old and been through a few owners people tend not to bother, and the smell permeates the vents.

Remove the old filter, start her up, put the fan on max and spray the stuff into the empty filter holder. Fit a new filter, and forget about it until the next filter is due. Neither difficult or maintenance intensive really. Check the date code on the old filter and it's likely it's either the original, or the first replacement from way back when.

Reactions
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
Country
United States
To prevent:

Change the pollen filter as per manufacturers guidance.

And that's it. Once cars are a few years old and been through a few owners people tend not to bother, and the smell permeates the vents.

Remove the old filter, start her up, put the fan on max and spray the stuff into the empty filter holder. Fit a new filter, and forget about it until the next filter is due. Neither difficult or maintenance intensive really. Check the date code on the old filter and it's likely it's either the original, or the first replacement from way back when.
Thanks Frank. What kind of spray would you recommend?